From a humble beginning a meeting was called for and held on the 6th June 1946 at Matraville Hotel. Eleven Ex-Servicemen attended and an application to the State Branch of the RSL of Australia.
Then the original charter was issued on 26th June 1946, and Membership evolved immediately and it became necessary to find larger permanent premises
An ex-army hut was purchased from Meadowbank and transported to Matraville, and the premises became locally known as 'the tin shed'.
The first licence was issued and the tin shed was remodel and opened on 15th August 1957, and the Liquor licence on 6th September 1957.
The lands department leased the land for the bowling greens in 1959 and car park and tennis courts area in 1960 as recreational areas.
Land was granted to the RSL to build a permanent building on the site the current building is located now; this was built and opened on 13th October 1962.
In 1971 the Sub-Branch separated from the management of the club and it became a limited company leased from the RSL Sub-Branch, as it still is today.
The Club has been remodelled many times over the years including major remodels in 1971, 1979, 2001 and most recently in 2007.