Our Club

History of the Club

From a humble beginning, a meeting was called and held on 6th June 1946 at the Matraville Hotel. Eleven (11) Ex-Servicemen attended and an application to the State Branch of the RSL of Australia was lodged.

The original charter was issued on 26th June 1946 and Membership evolved immediately and it became necessary to find larger permanent premises.

An ex-army hut was purchased from Meadowbank and transported to Matraville and the premises became locally know the “The Tin Shed”.

The first licence was issued, and The Tin Shed was remodelled and opened on 15th August 1957 and the Liquor Licence was issued on 6th September 1957.

The Lands Department leased the land for the bowling greens in 1959 and car park and tennis courts area in 1960 as recreational areas.

Land was granted to the RSL to build a permanent building on the site where the current building is located now. This was built and opened on 13th October 1962.

In 1971 the Sub-Branch separated from the management of the Club and it became a limited company leased from the RSL Sub-Branch, as it is today.

The Club has been remodelled twice since then and reopened in 1979 and again in 2001.